Warm Your Heart Bison Goulash
When the temperature dips, warm up with a hearty bowl of Carmen Creek Gourmet Bison goulash. Thick with veggies and tenderly braised chunks of bison tri-tip or sirloin tip steak, you won’t leave the kitchen until spring.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serves: 8 generous bowls
Per ½ cup/4 ounces of Pure Lean Carmen Creek Gourmet Bison Tri-Tip or Sirloin Tip
- Calories: 174
- Fat: 2g
- Protein: 26g
- 1 lb. of cubed fresh or fully thawed Carmen Creek Gourmet Bison Tri-Tip or Sirloin Tip (cut into one inch pieces)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. all purpose flour
- ¼ lb. diced celery
- ¼ lb. diced carrots
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- ¼ lb. diced potatoes
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 2 tsp. caraway seed, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 2-3 quarts or litres of beef stock (depending on how thick you want the goulash to be)
- Cracked sea salt and coarsely ground black pepper to taste
- 8 tbsp. sour cream for garnish (for a lower fat version, use low fat Greek Yogurt for garnish)
- Toss the cubed bison with flour to coat.
- In a heavy pot, heat 1 tbsp. olive oil to sizzling.
- Sauté bison cubes until browned on all sides, remove to a separate dish and cover.
- Put the second tbsp. of olive oil into the pot and add the chopped vegetables (except the potatoes) and caraway seed.
- Sauté just until vegetables are slightly softened.
- Add browned bison chunks back into the pot.
- Stir in paprika until well blended with the bison and vegetables.
- Mix in tomato paste and beef stock.
- Bring the mixture to a soft boil and then immediately reduce to a simmer.
- Add potatoes.
- Simmer for an additional 20-30 minutes until the potatoes are cooked.
- Season with sea salt and cracked pepper as needed.
- Ladle into serving bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream (or yogurt) dusted with a sprinkle of paprika.