The Best Ever Bison Pot Roast
Get ready to fill your home with the aroma of pure comfort. Easy to assemble, this one dish meal slowly simmers on your stovetop, in the oven or in your slow cooker to create fall off the fork tenderness and a rich hearty flavor. If you have leftovers the best just gets better. Thinly slice bison meat and reheat gravy for hot open face sandwiches the next day.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 7-8 Hours on stove top, or in slow cooker or oven
- Serves: 8 hungry folk
Per. 4 oz. serving of sliced bison pot roast
- Calories: 150
- Fat: 11% total daily value
- Protein: 22 g per serving
- 2 lb. Carmen Creek Gourmet Pot Roast (fresh or fully thawed)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 tbsp. chopped or granulated garlic
- 1 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 1 tsp. coarse ground pepper
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- I diced large onion
- 3 medium carrots diced
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2.5 cups of beef stock or…
- 1.5 cups of beef stock and one cup of dry red wine
- Place bison pot roast in a large zip lock bag with flour, garlic, salt and pepper. Shake well to coat and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Place a heavy bottomed pan on the stove and preheat for 10 minutes on medium low.
- Add vegetable oil and brown the roast well on the first side for 7 minutes and the second side for 5 minutes. Remove and set aside on a platter.
- ￼Add onions to same skillet and sauté until soft and clear, about 9 minutes. Add carrots and celery and cook for an additional 11 minutes. For best flavor the vegetables should caramelize.
- ￼Add one heaping tablespoon of tomato paste and continue to sauté, an additional 2 minutes.
- ￼Add beef stock or stock/wine mixture. Return roast to pan, bring liquid to a boil and ￼immediately reduce to a simmer.
- ￼Cover and cook on lowest stove top setting for 7 hours or…
- Set oven temp to 180°F and cook in covered heavy casserole for 8 hours or…
- Transfer to slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
- When the meat is fork tender, remove roast and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving with gravy and vegetables.