Red Wine Shallot Marmalade
Think of marmalade as a sauce that can be spooned, (just like a jam). The red wine balances the beautiful sweet flavor of caramelized shallots and the result is delightful
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 cups shallots, peeled and cut into 1/8 inch slices
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
This recipe will yield 4 heaping tablespoons of sauce. The marmalade can be served warm or cold.
- On medium high heat, melt butter with the oil and sugar.
- Add shallots and caramelize for 10 minutes.
- Add the wine and turn heat down to simmer.
- Simmer until liquid is reduced to ¼ of its original amount.
- Remove from heat, and stir in the thyme.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. If steaks have been seasoned with a rub, you may not need additional salt and pepper.
- Spoon over cooked steaks.