- In a large deep pot, over medium high heat, sauté bison until fully cooked through (there should be NO pink showing).
- Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute more.
- Add all remaining ingredients except the beans and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce and simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beans and cook for 15 minutes more.
Once bison has been fully cooked, and onion/garlic have been sautéed, combine all ingredients in a slow cooker set on low. Cook and simmer for 8 hours, stirring occasionally.
To add texture and flavor, add any or all of the following before putting into crock pot or if cooking on the stove, add with broth and cook until corn is fully cooked through and sun dried tomatoes have reconstituted.
- 1 cup of chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dark or chocolate beer
- 1 cup of frozen corn kernels
- 1 small can of drained chick peas
- Serve with a dollop of fresh, sharp grated cheddar and a sprig of cilantro on top